Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Cloud: A Simple Definition

How do I personally define the cloud? At the risk of over-simplifying: Online banking. Think about it: I ultimately run my business based on information. Information about my products, my customers, my employees, my finances, etc, and I need that information to be presented to me in such a way that it enables me to make decisions and to take (or not take) action. Online banking works just like that. It presents information about my account balances, gains/losses, etc. and based on that information I decide if I need to save more, if I can afford to spend any, if I need to move some around, etc.

Ultimately I only care that I can get to the data by calling my banker, or preferably, via a computer, netbook, terminal, or smartphone with a browser. I don't care where the data sits as long as I can get to it and it is secure. I don't care about the application that serves it up to me and I certainly don't care about the operating system or hardware on which it runs. I'd bet that most CEO/CFO types would tell you that this is exactly how they feel: Give them access to the data they need, wherever they are, whenever they need it, and make sure it is secure at rest and in transit.

No comments:

Post a Comment